Atanas Mihov Markov was born on the 24th of September 1879 in Stara Zagora. In 1904 he graduated from the Art Academy in Sofia, where his teachers were prof. Ivan Murkvichka and prof. Yaroslav Veshin. Right after taking his diploma, Mihov entered the art scene of the country as a member of the Association “Contemporary Art” and also as a member-founder of the Association of Northern Bulgarian artists. He participated in almost all their exhibitions. From 1906 till 1932 he worked as an art teacher in Silistra, Razgrad, Ruse and Sofia. His works were of a constant appearance at the Collective Art Exhibitions and exhibitions of the Union of Southern Slavic Artists “Lada”, as well as those of the Association “Native Art”. From 1914 he has organized many solo exhibitions in Bulgaria and abroad. He had taken part in international exhibitions in Venice, Rome, Prague, Plzen, etc.
In 1932 Mihov retired and devoted himself entirely to his work. He worked predominantly in the field of the realistic landscape painting. During his attendance in WWI he also created painting on the military subject.
Paintings of Atanas Mihov are possessed by many embassies of the Nation Art Gallery, some city galleries around the country, as well as numerous private collections in Bulgaria and abroad.
He died on the 22th of January 1975.